Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Three Tips for Better Listening


I have a confession. I'm so frustrated this week. It's summer, of course, so nobody's practicing. That's a tiny bit of the problem. I wonder why parents insist on bringing kids all summer if they're going to make excuses for them when they don't practice....but I digress...

The big annoyance factor is that nobody is listening to their CDs. I would type that in all caps, but shouting on the 'net is rude. So I'll just say it quietly. Nobody is listening. So I want to share with you a few ways you might listen, and use listening as a way to play better music.

1. You know those CDs that come in the back of nearly all your music books? Play them. You don't have to sit with your hands folded and listen like you're at a stuffy concert. Just put them on and let 'er fly, while you're playing, eating, exercising, working, doing homework...... play them in the car while you're going to dance classes..... play them all the time. Hearing the music played correctly makes it much easier to learn! I looked in the back of somebody's book a couple days ago, and her CD was still sealed up in there. The seal wasn't broken. But she was complaining about NOT GETTING THE TUNE. Imagine. Listen to the CDs.

2. When I'm working on a piece, I like to listen to it being played by different artists. Now, a lot of you are going on youtube and just randomly finding people playing your pieces. I'm really proud of you for having the initiative to go looking up your music. But I would caution you that there are lots of very bad musicians on youtube. So how about looking up the greats and listening to their versions? Even Menuhin, Heifetz, and my favorite all-time player David Oistrakh --the old recordings can mostly be found on youtube. Listen to them -- don't waste your time with somebody who knows less than you!

3. Also, if you're working on a piece sit down with that track of the CD and listen to it critically before you play. Follow along in the sheet music if that helps. Consider whether you play it exactly like the recording. If not, who do you think is right?

OK I appreciate you hearing out my rant. I feel better now, and hopefully you understand what to do when you're assigned a listening exercise.

Happy violining!

1 comment: